We’re looking for a Senior Composite Designer to help design a vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) aircraft as well as other projects we undertake.
You will work from initial scheme to component launch incorporating knowledge in surfacing, composite structures, manufacturing support, including jigs and fixtures to aid smooth build and assembly of components. You will also be expected to lead and mentor junior members of staff and aid their progression.
The ideal candidate will be skilled in CAD modelling NX or Catia preferable and Detail Design of both Composite and Metallic components for aircraft, vehicle and other sectors.
Your duties will be wide ranging and varied and will include:
- Design and CAD modelling of Composite components
- Analysing and interpreting customer requirements
- Preparation of Detail designs and laminate books
- Interaction with Aerodynamic and Stress departments to ensure full compliance with concept intent and structural integrity.
- Continuous development of designs and process to keep best practices
- Fully compliant with the company quality standards AS 9100D
- Lead and mentor junior designers to ensure company standards are achieved
- Supporting the Test team as required to explore and validate technical solutions
Basic Qualifications / Experience
- Educated to Minimum HND level /Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- At least 6 years of experience working in a relevant industrial environment
- A sound knowledge of computer aided design preferably NX11
- Understanding of manufacturing techniques of composite components and tooling
- Ability to apply your knowledge to solve fundamental engineering solutions
- Experienced user of CAD surfacing tools and procedures
- Awareness of processes and requirements relevant to the certification of aircraft
- Ability to communicate complex ideas so that they are understood by different audiences
- Fluent in spoken and written English language
- Experience working with multiple types of vehicle, including Aircraft and automotive including Motorsports
- Proficient user of NX or Catia V5 or V6
- Previous experience in leading a small team or project
- Hands-on experience with composite materials
- Knowledge and experience of pre-preg and Infusion laminating techniques